Detail of coat of arms on monument
In December 1694, Duchess
Anne was paying James Smith the architect £70 sterling 'for
sending to Holand to buy marble towards the erecting of ane Monument
upon His Grace the Duke of Hamiltone in Hamiltone Church' and in
October 1695 Mr Smith was able to report that he was 'pretty forward'
in 'sawing of the marble for the monument.' The contract for the
monument was not drawn up, however, until 12 February 1696.
Signed by Duchess Anne, Mr Smith and his cousin
James Smith and witnessed by the Duchess Anne's son Lord Basil,
her son-in law, James, Earl of Panmure, David Crawford her legal
adviser and Arthur Nasmith another of her servants, the contract
describes how the duchess was 'resolved to cause build a handsome,
stately and decent monument' upon the burial place in Hamilton Church
where 'her dearest husband is interred.' Mr Smith and his men were
to take down the 1st Marquis of Hamilton's monument and put it safely
aside, enlarge the vault underneath, and then set it up again. The
whole gable was to be raised and new windows put in before the duke's
monument could be erected on its black marble base.